Bitter Gourd Karela Powder for Diabetics
Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon (Karela) powder lowers dietary carbohydrate digestion - Karela powder reduces the amount of glucose that is released into the blood by inhibiting the enzymes that break down disaccharides to two monosaccharides (e.g. glucose).
Karela can influence the transport channels for glucose, which also reduces glucose transport into the blood. This effect is important for the treatment of both Type I and Type II diabetic patients and helps to prevent high blood sugar levels after meals.
Benefits of Karela Powder for Diabetes Patients
- Acts as a blood purifier:
- Helps in weight loss: Eating or drinking the juice of karela stimulates the liver to secrete bile acids that are essential for metabolizing fat in the body. Besides, a 100g serving of bitter gourd contains just 17 calories making it a great option for fitness enthusiasts.
- Improves immunity: Karela powder is an extremely rich source of vitamin C, which helps boost immunity. It also has powerful antiviral property, which stimulates the immune system and also aids in digestion.
- Great for diabetes: Bitter gourd powder has a certain insulin-like protein called polypeptide P that mimics the action of insulin and lowers blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
- Fight acne: Consuming karela powder can help you get rid of acne, blemishes and skin infections and gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
How to use Bitter Melon (Karela) powder for diabetes
- A spoon of karela powder a day keeps diabetes at bay
- Mix a teaspoon in a glass of Water / Buttermilk , drink on an empty stomach